Printfriendly

LOOM KNIT: SNOWMAN SCARF

Cheerful Loom Knit Snowman Scarf...

Snowman Hat & Scarf Set, Directions for Hat can be found in earlier post dated 10/30/13

A couple of weeks ago I created a snowman hat pattern for the loom.  Since the hat was meant to be a gift for my nephew at Christmas, I knew I wanted to come up with a pattern for a matching scarf.  The first attempt did not go well at all...I tried making a graduated (step) look to the bottom of the scarf. Needless to say, I didn't like the way it was turning out.  I pulled all the stitches off the loom and started again.  My second attempt did not go well either and again I removed the yarn off the loom.  I was frustrated and decided to put off designing the scarf until I was feeling more patient. Yesterday I decided to tackle this project with a fresh look at what I was trying to achieve.  I knew I wanted it to look similar to the hat with "snowballs" attached.  I found out that sometimes it's best to keep a pattern simple if you want success.  My resulting scarf took about 6 hours of work.  It will probably take less time with the completed pattern.  I can't wait to give the set to my nephew...especially since he asked for a "snowman" hat!


Snowman Scarf...This size was made for a 3-4 year old

What You'll Need:


Straight Loom (small)
Knitting Tool
Crochet Hook
1 Skein Charisma Baby (4); Color: Aqua
1 Skein (or Less) Lion Brand Hometown USA (6); Color:  New York White
1 Skein (or Less) Lion Hometown USA (6); Color:  Oakland Black
1 Skein (or Less) Patons Shetland Chunky (5); Color: Gold
Extra small pom pom maker (pink)
Medium pom pom maker (green)

Directions:


-Using 2 strands of Aqua, cast on 7 pegs
-E-wrap knit 8 rows
-Cast on White (1 Strand)
-E-wrap knit 8 rows
-Cast on Black (1 Strand)
-E-wrap knit 6 rows
-Using 2 strands, Cast on Aqua
-E-wrap knit 45 rows (or more, if you want a longer scarf)
-Cast on Black (1 Strand)
-E-wrap knit 6 rows
-Cast on White (1 Strand)
-E-wrap knit 8 rows
-Cast on Aqua (2 Strands)
-E-wrap knit 8 rows
-Remove scarf from loom with a gathered bind off
-With a needle and Aqua yarn (1 Strand), weave yarn in and out of Bind on end and gather end to match bind off end.

NOSE:


E-Wrap Knit (4) Pegs with GOLD
E-Wrap Knit (4-5) Rows
Gathered Bind-Off
Shape into Cone - Sew onto center of face, hide stitches inside the tube to keep back neat

EYES:


With BLACK E-Wrap Knit (3) Rows using 3 pegs.
Gathered Bind-Off
Pull Tight into Knot
Leave Tail for sewing on Frosty's Face
(Do this four times to make two Coal eyes)
Sew on scarf. Hide stitches inside the tube to keep back neat

MOUTH: (if desired, not shown)


Hand Sew a line with BLACK using picture (on Hat) as reference.  Hide stitches inside the tube to keep back neat.  Originally I sewed a mouth on the scarf too but thought it looked too busy, so I removed it (use your own judgement here)

Snowballs:


Make two pom poms with the Medium pom pom maker and sew on to gathered ends of scarf.
Make two pom poms with the extra small pom pom maker and sew one on to frosty's hat and one above the hat on other side.  Snowballs should look random on the scarf.

#Childsscarf #knitscarf #loomknitting #freeloompattern #snowmanscarf

Disclaimer:  I have made every effort to ensure that these instructions are accurate and complete.  I cannot, however, be reponsible for human error, typographical mistakes, or variations in individual work.  I am not a professional pattern writer.  Although these
patterns have been tested by me, they are still considered test patterns because they have not been done by a large group of knitters. They are being shared free for this reason.  Please knit these patterns at your own risk.


Copyright, 2013, Nicole F. Cox, thismomentisgood.blogspot.com, all rights reserved.

Close up of scarf

Back of scarf after eyes and nose are added, stitches are hidden inside knitting.

4 comments

Unknown said...

I don't have a straight loom. :/
Can I use my round loom knitter.?

Nicole F. Cox said...

Hello Unknown, you can use a round loom for the hat but will need a straight loom or what's known as a rake for the scarf as it is double knit.

Carol said...

Hi,
I want to make te snowman scarf but I have a question. In a response to another person you said a straight loom was required because the scarf is double knit. When reading the pattern it it says to cast on 7 pegs I’m confused how double knit is done with 7 pegs.

Nicole F. Cox said...

Hello Carol. In double knitting, I do not refer to the 2nd peg in the double knit so yes, technically you will be using 14 pegs, one behind the other. You should refer to the instructions within the rake style loom for how double knitting is done before beginning this scarf.

Powered by Blogger.